Open Door was founded by a group of volunteers in 1972, and volunteers remain a vital part of the Open Door culture today. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities for adults, college students, and teenagers. The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old.
Our volunteers share a generosity of spirit, the conviction that they can make a difference, and a commitment to the community.
If you have questions and would like further information please contact Jane Levy, Manager of Volunteer Programs at 914-502-1468 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Volunteer Openings
DONATE YOUR TIME
- Reach Out and Read: Volunteers are the heart of our Reach Out and Read program. Come and read aloud to our young patients in the waiting rooms, model reading techniques, and promote reading aloud at home. This is a perfect position for both adult and high school volunteers who enjoy working directly with young children.
- Layette and Learn Baby Showers: Help to host a baby shower for expecting mothers at Open Door.
- Health Fairs: Work with Open Door staff to provide important health care information to the public.
- Fundraisers and special events: Learn how you can get involved in these events, in conjunction with Open Door staff.
DONATE GOODS TO HELP OUR FAMILIES
- Reach Out and Read: Donate gently used books for young children to support our Reach Out and Read Program. We need board books and picture books for children under 5 years old, as well as soft baby books. We also need volunteers to host book drives.
- Got Teeth? Bags: Fill bags for young children with dental necessities: a child-sized toothbrush, dental floss, toothpaste, fluoride rinse and a book about going to the dentist.
- The Diaper Bank: Help Open Door build a diaper bank to have “No Child Wet Behind.”
- Other Charitable Drives: Host a drive for items urgently needed by our patients, such as quick read digital thermometers, first aid kits, and Band-aids.
MAKE A CHILD’S HOLIDAY BRIGHTER
- Holiday Toy Drive: Help Open Door ensure that all of our young patients receive a new toy during the holiday season. New, unwrapped toys are collected for infants through age 14 years old.
- Wrapping Up Joy: It takes many hands and miles of gift wrap to get 2,500 toys ready to give to our young patients. We appreciate donations of holiday wrapping paper, batteries, and tape too!
- Santa Day Helpers: Help organize and distribute gifts to the children. There are many jobs to fill at each of our five Santa Days in December.
- Re-gifting Campaign: Many children receive gifts they never open. Host a re-gifting campaign for new, unopened toys and gifts for children ages infant to 14 years. Great for schools, scouts, and other organizations!